Wednesday, December 31, 2014

How To Crochet A Cute Little Snowman

Sparkling snow outside, white and pure, attracts my attention. I would really like to go for a walk and to build a snowman. Unfortunately, I am ill. So I decided to share a little snowman with you, which can be made even if one has to stay at a warm and cozy place.

You can use leftover yarn to make this cute little fellow.

Here is how I made it:

First, I made its body and head. I crochetd a long flat cord, rolled it firmly in (like an s-shape). You can e.g. simply crochet foundation hdc stitches; or crochet a foundation chain on which you crochet a row of sc.
Or you can crochet a flat Fdc cord which is long enough to make a body of it and change to Fhdc for the head. This idea just came to me, while I was writing this post. :) I have not tried this yet.

How to make a Fhdc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp7mgnV7fs
Or if you prefer a written instruction (in this case, I like that option better):


  • Ch2, 
  • yo, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook,
  • yo, pull through once,
  • yo, pull it through 1 loop („chain“ made)
  • yo, pull it through all 3 loops on hook (first hdc made),
  • *yo, insert hook under 2 loops on the „chain“,
  • yo, pull through once
  • yo, draw through 1 loop („chain“ made)
  • yo, draw through all 3 loops on the hook (hdc made)*,
  • repeat from* to * for desired number of foundation stitches
 Or if you prefer a thicker snowman, you can also crochet Fdc stitches:


  • Ch2,
  • yo, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook,
  • yo, pull it through once
  • yo, pull it through 1 loop („chain“ made)
  • yo, pull it through 2 loops on hook
  • yo, pull it through 2 loops on hook (first dc made),
  • *yo, insert hook under 2 loops on the „chain“
  • yo, pull through once
  • yo, draw through 1 loop („chain“ made)
  • yo, pull it through 2 loops on hook
  • yo, pull it through 2 loops on hook (dc made)*
  • repeat from* to * for desired number of foundation stitches
While sewing in the ends of the white yarn you can lead it through the body and head of the snowman, so that they stay in place.
If the ends are long enough you can poke each one of them through a side of the snowman an use them to crochet arms. You can just make a chain and lead it back to the body; crochet foundation sc or foundation hdc stitches; or you can crochet some chain stitches and turn using sl stitches, sc stitches or even hdc stitches. It is up to you - whatever you like best.
Of course, you will have to secure the last bit of your white yarn ends by leading them through the little fellow's body.

How to make a Fsc:


  • Ch 2,
  • insert hook in 2nd ch from hook
  • yo, pull through once,
  • yo, draw through 1 loop („chain“ made)
  • yo, draw through all 2 loops on hook (first sc made)
  • *insert hook under 2 loops of the „chain“
  • yo, pull through once,
  • yo, draw through 1 loop („chain“ made),
  • yo, draw through all 2 loops on hook (sc made)*
  • repeat from * to* for desired number of foundation stitches.

For its orange carrot nose, I have just poked my hook through some loops on the front of its head (almost in the middle of its face) and made some chain stitches and slip stitches to get back down.
To secure the yarn ends you can lead them through the snowman's nose.

Then I added a wonky black hat. Therefore, I crocheted sc stitches on the top of its head (I started from the right) and turned using slip stitches, after a few sl stitches I changed to sc stitches and crochet all the way up, until I was pleased with the appearance of the hat.
I used the lower yarn end to add eyes and buttons (embroidery) and the upper yarn end to turn my little snowman into a hanger.




I hope I could give you an idea, on what you can do if you have to stay at home or if you are still searching for a cute little ornament.
Of course, I would love to see photos of your creations, if you were inspired by my post!

Have a nice day!
Dietlind

Ps.: Here is another cute and free pattern for a little snowman from Drops Design:


No comments:

Post a Comment